Since 1972, California Houndsmen for Conservation (“CHC”) has been fighting to preserve, protect, and promote the sport of hound hunting. The threats we face-posed by
increased urbanization and anti-hunting sentiment, efforts to close access to public property, and restrict the ownership of dogs-are certainly daunting, but with the help from good folks such as yourself, we are
confident we can overcome these challenges. CHC has incorporated a multi-faceted strategy to not only defend our sport, but to create new opportunities for California’s hound hunting community.
Legislative/Regulatory Lobbying and Electioneering
- CHC and its affiliates have successfully lobbied to defeat efforts to ban bear and bobcat hunting (SB67 and AB342) and dove hunting (AB1190) in California, bear hunting with dogs in Maine (LD628), and efforts to
mandate the surgical sterilzation of hunting dogs (AB1634) in California.
- CHC and its affiliates have sponsored legislation or regulatory modifications that would:
- Criminalize the removal of a hunting dog’s collar and require compensation for removal.
- Require funds generated from the sale of species-specific tags be spent for those species.
- Allow local hunting clubs to host “Big Bear/Cat/Coon” contests without criminal prosecution.
- Prevent cities and counties from passing ordinances that would prohibit hunting activities already provided for within existing Fish and Game laws.
- Expand bear hunting into San Luis Obispo County without inclusion in a dog control zone.
- Eliminate the bear quota, thereby establishing a season until the last Sunday of December.
Youth, Public, and Hound Hunting Community Outreach
- CHC provides testimony during Fish & Game Commission hearings and California Senate and Assembly wildlife-related committee meetings.
- CHC meets with CADFG regarding the use of dog recovery equipment, dog control zone boundaries, and restrictions to the number of dogs during deer season.
- CHC participates in the quarterly Al Taucher Hunter Opportunity Committee meetings.
- CHC participates in the annual Trailblazer Adventure Program for the Boy Scouts of the USA.
- CHC participates in the annual CADFG-hosted Bear Hunting Clinic.
- CHC hosts photographic excursions for the pursuit of bear for the non-hunting public.
- CHC hosts www.californiahoundsmen.com, and advertises hunting events, lost and found dogs, and legislation of interest to the hound hunting community.
- CHC is a founding member of the California Outdoor Heritage Alliance (“COHA”), the state’s pre-eminent outdoor recreation lobbying organization.
- Through our affiliation with COHA, CHC is allied with over 30 organizations including National Wild Turkey Federation, Mule Deer Federation, California Deer Association, Quail Unlimited, Pheasants Forever, and
Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation.
- CHC is aligned with national organizations dedicated to the protection of hunters and pet owners, bear hunting, and sporting dogs.
- CHC oversees the Sportsman’s Political Victory Fund (“SPVF”) to defeat anti-hunting efforts.
- CHC hosts annual fundraising banquets twice a year with our partners, COHA and North Central California Houndsmen, to generate funds for SPVF.
- CHC established the Trailblazer matching grant fundraiser to generate funds for SPVF.
- CHC established the Hunter Opportunity Program to recognize SPVF donations by the public.
While you may already be a member of your local hound hunting club, and you certainly should be, this membership does not entitle you to membership with CHC. For less than the cost of a single tank of gas, you can
join the ranks of the countless men and women throughout the state and across the nation who have stepped forward to fight to protect the sport they love and the lifestyle they enjoy. As an annual member of CHC, you
- CHC's quarterly newsletter, The Track and Trail Tribune
- Yearly subscription to Bear Hunting magazine
- Access to the soon-to-be-released CHC Members-Only portion of the CHC website
- CHC T-shirt or hat
- CHC vehicle decal
- Pride and satisfaction in knowing that you are providing tangible contributions to protecting an American Tradition and preserving hound hunting for yourself, your family and many generations to come.
If you are not a current member, please click here to complete the membership form and begin to do your part to
preserve, protect, and promote America's oldest and grandest sporting tradition. For more information, simply send an email to email@example.com.